Wednesday 25 July 2012

Mini Oseberg Loom

Just recently, amid the projects I NEEDED  to work on, I had inspiration to make an Oseberg style loom - but smaller. As a prototype. Below is what I ultimately want to make;

The original drawing of the reconstruction. Gleaned from the 'net
The loom was used for tablet or card weaving and was found in the Oseberg Viking Ship burial. My prototype is a table or bench top version. I had all the materials I needed so here we go. You can see it with all the pieces rough cut and test-fitted.


The base is made of some unkown wood but has a beautiful colour when oiled. The shape is inspired by the original. I decided it did not need feet but that the ends would do the trick.

The uprights are fir. Originally, they were Kubb batons for another kubb set I'm making, but they looked like they would be perfect and sure enough, they were. I had to notch where the horizontal support joins and round and smooth the tops. And I think I achieved a slight taper but I'll have to double check.

The horizontal support bar is oak.

Here it is assembled and oiled. I just used raw linseed oil to bring out the natural wood colours and add a bit of a golden tinge.


The detail below shows the false dowel tenon. I screwed them together and used my secret glue that looks and acts like pitch for gluing in the plugs.


The uprights are secured to the base with actual trenails using small wedges made of horn. And more secret glue.


I was actually going to make it so it could be taken apart but a number of mistakes were made which necessitated permanently assembling it. But it is not that big. Now to get the ladies to try it out...

And since you have read this far, I'm going to tell you what my secret glue is....roofing patch! Looks like pitch tar glue.

4 comments:

  1. I would be interested in knowing how you plan to attach the warp to the uprights and how you will maintain the tension

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't weave but I've seen it done on a bigger loom (original sized replica) and it looked to me by tying the warp threads around the uprights in a knot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has anyone tried this yet. It's a very interesting idea. I would like to know how they liked working on it

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave it to a friend. I don't know if she has used it but she loved the compactness of it for taking to events.

    ReplyDelete